Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WEB IS GOD

WRITTEN BY: ANURAG SAHOO

Internet is probably one of the best thing that happened to the modern world. Through world wide web(www), the entire world was opened to the eyes of a common person. My tryst with the internet began sometime in the year 2001 when I was in 8th standard. At that time the hourly charge of using internet was, hold your breath, Rs.40.
The first thing I saw in the net was……… its hard to mention. It happened because of the persuasion by some friends. But time and again, I find better use of the internet.
The most liked use of internet was on-line chatting. I readily opened an account in yahoo. I could chat with nationals from Brazil, USA and even countries like Puerto rico.
After that, santabanta.com became a favoured destination as it offered spicy bollywood and Hollywood gossips, jokes and most popularly wallpapers of different genres.
But the real madding point came with the launch of ORKUT. The largest online social networking system, as it claims so, Orkut developed a chain link between me and my long forgotten school friends. Picture sharing helped me see how my friends are leading their life. Orkut is the most visited website in all the cyber cafes.During graduation days, net was made available in my home and yup, I saw a site which was founded by James Wales. Nothing fancy, the site is named as WIKIPEDIA. It remains my homepage till this date as it is the depository of knowledge. It is a site which would give any physical encyclopedia a run for its money. Another great thing to happen is YOUTUBE, the ultimate video sharing website. I saw rare videos like the bombing of Hiroshima or interview of Gandhiji. Apart from these, IMDB which stands for the internet movie database has all the information and reviews of virtually every movie, old or new, of any language. The internet also made way to on-line share trading, banking, ticket reservations and many thing more. So the journey with the internet had been an entertaining as well as a learning one. Like I said earlier, WEB IS GOD

0 comments: